Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stayin' Up Late...again

My first ever blog, written at 11pm after finishing my KCB201 del.icio.us assignment.

As much as I complained about the assignment, I can definately see myself using del.icio.us in the future. This will eliminate my worry of loosing my USB stick and all of the information I have gathered online (which happened once before...however I do believe that the USB is still lurking in the depths of my room somewhere...).

And by being forced by this assignment to think of a subject area that I am really interested in, I think I have finally found the answer to the question that all of the aunts and uncles ask at Christmas: "Ooohhh, public relations and media and communication hey? What do you want to do with that in the future?". So now rather than saying "um, well probably something to do with PR.. and maybe some media and communication kind of stuff..." I can say:
"I am really interested in the ways that new media technologies are changing democracy and politics. How politicians are reaching voters has evolved from traditional mediums such as newspapers and television to using new media such as YouTube (Hillary Clinton announced her run for president on YouTube) and MySpace (K-Rudd your the bomb). Activists now have more platforms to mobilise, and with strength in numbers and no geographical boundaries online, they can influence public opinion and even political decisions. More people can have an active role in politics by using these technologies and a diverse range of opinions can be voiced".

...and then I'll realise that my poor relatives were only making small talk and really didn't want to hear my speech... awkward...

1 comment:

Amy Louise Gabriel Hourigan. said...

So true - the old people don't care. But I care (or just understand because I am also doing media and communication). To conclude, you could be the next Axel. Word.

a*ms